When there is an electrical outage, Generac generators are a fantastic investment. But the generator doesn’t work well when you need it the most if it is not properly reset after a maintenance session. We’ll demonstrate how to reset maintenance on Generac generator correctly and what steps to take.
Generac Generator Maintenance Reset
Maintain your Generac generator daily, weekly, or monthly during off-peak times to ensure it is ready when you need it. It is essential to reset your generator after maintenance so you don’t get hurt if it starts up accidentally while working on it. Before working on the generator, shut off the main electrical panel. General maintenance will always require a safety lockout.
Find Circuit Breaker
- Find out where the circuit breaker is on the generator. It should be marked as such; the usual label is “maintenance.”
Switch Off Circuit Breaker
- Switch the circuit breaker to the “off” position. Make sure it is off before moving on to the next step. Use a non-conducting object, such as a wooden stick or broom handle, to check for current to ensure the breaker is off.
Open Circuit Breaker Box Lid
- Open the circuit breaker box lid on your Generac generator. When using electricity, take all necessary safety precautions, including donning protective gear like insulated gloves and boots. Also, you should wear pants and long sleeves.
Locate Photo Eye
- Locate the photo eye, a little gadget with a red or green LED light. Before moving on, make sure to take off any plastic that may be covering it. The photo-eye should be placed close to the breaker panel and pointing toward the appliance.
Activate Photo Button
- Reach into the box and activate the photo button. The eye’s When you replace the lid, this will ensure that your generator has been reset and is ready for use.
- After the main electrical panel in your home has been reset, reconnect it and turn the power back on.
When you need your Generac generator, be sure it is prepared by following these instructions. It should be done monthly, even in the summer. Suppose you don’t turn off your generator after maintenance and start it by accident. In that case, your house could take a while to get the proper electricity back. Not pressing reset might cause this. It might be an issue when it’s chilly, and you need heat and other comfort.
15 Steps to Maintain Your Generac Guardian Generator
Is It Possible To Reset A Generac Generator Without The Use Of The Jumper Cable Or Power Cord?
- Yes, you can reset your Generac generator without the use of a jumper cable or power cord. Just locate the reset port on your inverter board, unplug your generator’s power cord, and plug it back in. This will cause the generator to restart, and when it does so it will put itself into maintenance mode (which effectively resets your inverter board).
- When you reset your Generac generator, any custom settings that you’ve programmed into it will be erased. This includes the set running time, generator start/stop times, and anything else that you’ve manually set up. Restoring these settings can be easy, but every system is different so check your owner’s manual for specific instructions on how to do this.
- No, Generac generators cannot be reset from a central location via a wireless or cellular connection. This means that to reset a Generac generator, you’ll need to be near your unit and have access to the front panel (which means it won’t work if your generator is in a different location).
How Do You Reset A Generator?
Even though it’s easy to reset a Generac generator, a few considerations exist. Depending on the model, this method will vary somewhat, so it’s always a good idea to review the owner’s handbook and double-check the instructions below.
How Do You Reset A Generac Generator?
The hexagonal socket on the side of your Generac generator is where you should place an Allen wrench. Once you’ve reached the absolute reset position, turn the knob counterclockwise to release the generator from maintenance mode.
What Other Benefits Does Resetting A Generac Generator Give?
The inverter board of your Generac generator will reset to its initial factory settings when you do so. Any custom settings (like turning on a water heater) will be erased and replaced with the default values.
How Often Should You Reset A Generac Generator?
According to the manufacturer’s recommendations, you should reset your Generac generator around every five years. This is because the heavy-duty cycling needed to run a backup generator over time wears down the inverter board much more quickly than if only used occasionally.
Does Resetting A Generac Generator Hurt Anything?
No! Restarting your Generac generator won’t hurt the inverter board or change how it works.
What Is The Best Way To Reset A Generac Generator?
Before performing any maintenance on your Generac generator, be sure you are aware of any safety precautions (see our post here). Find the reset port on your inverter board next. Hold the “GO” button while disconnecting and replugging your power cord while plugging in the jumper cable . After completing that, release the GO button. After you do this, your generator’s settings will be back to normal!
Can you manually reset a Generac generator?
You can restart your Generac generator without a power cord or jumper wire; thus, the answer is yes. You only need to unhook the power cable from your generator, find the reset port on the inverter board and plug it back in. When the generator starts up again, it will go into maintenance mode. It resets your inverter board.
Resetting a Generac generator will return it to default settings. What does this mean?
If you reset your Generac generator, you will lose any settings you have made for it. It includes any manual settings you’ve made, such as the generator’s start and stops times and the set running time. It can be simple to restore these settings, but as every system is unique, see your owner’s handbook for detailed instructions.
Can a Generac generator be reset remotely?
Using Wi-Fi or cellular connections from a central location is not possible to reset Generac generators. This implies that you must be close to your generator and have access to the front panel to reset a Generac generator (your generator must be in the same area for it to function).